Friday, February 8, 2013

The Gym

I have a love / hate relationship with the Gym.  I think it stems from the fact that I used to work at a gym. Also I hate exercising.  BUT I even more hate being overweight and love the feeling I get after a good workout.  So it's like a catch 22.

The problem with working at a gym is when you go to another gym you see all the problems.  You know when you are getting bad customer service, you know when you are getting the run around, you understand why a class is cancelled and can't argue about it, you see people on cell phones and can't say anything, you see staff wearing items that aren't a part of their uniform and can't say anything, and you notice all the annoying things members do and can't say anything because you are just a regular ole member and no one cares if you used to be a manager at a gym half way across the country.

On top of all of that, people at the gym are annoying.  It always amazes me when you see people driving around the parking lot over and over again trying to get a close spot.  Seriously!?!  YOU ARE AT THE GYM park far away and walk (I understand this is not applicable to the elderly and people with small children).  The women (and sometimes men for that matter) that have coordinating outfits, a full face of makeup and hair done?  ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!  You are there to sweat not look cute.  I always wonder what kind of workout they get when they come and go looking the exact same.

When I go to the gym my attire is usually hipster homeless.  It generally consists of yoga pants and one of Tom's shirts and often a hat.  Even when I was young, cute, fit, and in college it consisted of my brothers sweat pants and shirts.

Now obviously I haven't been frequenting the gym as often as I should be and I am not one to judge those people who look cute and go everyday (except I sorta just did).  Hell I would love to look like half those girls in their coordinating Nike outfits who don't get a workout in just trying to pull on a freakin pair of tights (seriously people why are tights so hard to put on?!?)  and can look good in just about anything.  I envy them, I used to be them, and I am working hard at being them again.

I have been going to the gym almost everyday, and tracking what I eat.  I use bodymedia which I really like, and actually works.  I see results and that helps keep me focused.  I just get sidetracked / frustrated very easily.  I can very quickly talk myself out of going to the gym for any number of stupid reasons which doesn't pair well with the fact that I can very easily convince myself that I deserve that piece of candy.  Yep, that one that's sitting right there just calling my name...yep that's the one.

Yesterday, unfortunately, I told myself I deserved many pieces of candy and also told myself that I didn't need to go to the gym because I'd eaten candy all day so what was the point (see how stupid my brain can be?!?).  Now today I am paying for it.  I woke up with a terrible headache and felt disgustballs.  So today, I have no excuses.  I WILL GO TO THE GYM...I WILL NOT EAT CANDY.

Also, why is candy so mean???  It tastes so good, but after you eat it you're like why did I eat that now I'm going to be fat, but then you're like oh it tasted so good I better eat another, and so the cycle continues.  I think I am learning that I just can't have any.  I know if I have one piece I will have another and another and another until I become Bruce Bogtrotter from Matilda and have eaten the whole damn cake!

 

I'll keep you updated on my success (see how I said success???  I'm being positive.)

XO XO,
Positive Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment