Saturday, January 5, 2013

"Up North"

8 years ago I was a shop-aholic, had never really been camping (unless you count OLS at Camp Wawenock), and defined a vacation as somewhere out of state with a beach.  Not that there is anything at all wrong with that, secretly I sort of admire people who still get to be / think that.  But 8 years ago (give or take) when I walked into that stupid Stretch & Tone Class, my life changed...I met Tom.

During our first summer together we decided to get-a-way for a week.  Tom suggested the Wisconsin Dells (the waterpark capital of the USA) and I was totally on board.  I hadn't been to many water parks, but figured it must be better than White Water University in Des Moines, IA with its two water slides and a wave pool.  He said he would make the plans and I was happy to let him.  When the time finally came I packed my bags and drove to meet him in MN (I was living in IA that summer) and we would head to Wisconsin (No I don't know the abbreviation for Wisconsin and am too lazy to look it up) from there.  When I arrived in MN he was packing a lot of stuff.  Coolers, Flashlights, big long bags with poles in them, wood, and I was a little confused to say the least.  I asked him what all the stuff was for and his answer??? "for our campsite."  Pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when I realized we were going camping for a week.  He swears he told me, but I must have had selective hearing or thought he was joking.

Something close to the look I probably gave him when he told me we were camping for a week.

Well I obviously survived that camping trip, and honestly it was one of the best / most fun trips (most fun???  Not sure if that's proper grammar but whateves) I've ever had.  A whole new world was opened up to me.

Tom and me at the Wisconsin Dells...man we were skinny.

The whole point of telling you that story is to give you some idea of how much my life has changed (for the better) since meeting, dating, and marrying Tom.  Let's now fast forward from 2005 to last week.

Last week December 29 was our 5 year wedding anniversary, my how the time flies.  It seems like just yesterday I was getting ready to walk down the aisle.

Love this pic from our wedding.

Since 5 years is sorta a big deal Tom and I decided we wanted to get-a-way for the long weekend.  We didn't have the monetary means to go some where far, and didn't want to have to drive too far, so we decided to go "up north".  Now to many of you who think I already live in Canada, I know I live up North already.  But there is a saying Minnesotans use when they are going to Northern Minnesota...they say, "we are going up north" and everyone just knows what it means.

So our "up North" meant the Brainerd Lakes area, more specifically Pequot Lakes.  Pequot Lakes is no more than 2 miles long and has maybe two gas stations, a bait shop, some cute local shops (and by some I mean 2), a salon, and a grocery store.  It's small town at its best.  Everyone is super friendly.  There is not a Starbucks for miles.

We arrived Friday evening to our luxurious jacuzzi fireplace suite and pretty much didn't leave the room until Saturday afternoon to go ice fishing.  Yes, I did say ice fishing.

Last year Tom and I finally found something outside we like to do together, ice fish.  I mostly like to do it because I am a fish slayer and always catch the most fish.  Tom says the only reason I catch the most fish is because he is doing all the work like putting bait on my hook, setting everything up, and taking the fish off my hook, but I say if he really wanted to catch fish he could :).  So yes, we spent our 5 year anniversary ice fishing on Pelican Lake and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way (unless there could have been a beach involved).

Our little set up.  Thanks to Tom's Dad & Mom for letting us borrow steal their ice house these past years.

We literally walked a half mile out to the middle of the lake to set up.  All the white is snow covering the ice that is the lake.

Sunset "up North" in the middle of the lake.

Tom...too concerned with his stogie to catch any fish.  Ladies he's taken...

See I actually have a line in the water.  And yes I am sitting on a bucket, but that's the price you have to pay if you want the seat with the heater facing you :)


Part 2 of our trip "up North" will come tomorrow.  You should probably hold your breath because it's gonna be a good one, maybe, not sure really...well nevermind don't hold your breath that puts too much pressure on me.  It will be mediocre.  We will talk football, spam, more ice fishing, butt flux, and how the word "what" has changed forever.

XO XO,
Fish Slayer Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment