Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Smells of the Holidays

Many of you have been asking what I baked this holiday season, and many of you who got to eat what I baked have been asking for the recipes.  So this post is for you!  None of these recipes are gluten free or healthy, but all of these recipes are delicious!  To get to each recipe click on the name of the recipe or item.

The first thing I made were cookie/brownie things which you saw here as a baking failure.  Although they didn't look pretty they did taste pretty.


At a recent staff meeting I got off topic (surprise surprise) and started asking if anyone knew how to make those cream cheese mints you get at weddings or bridal showers.  I tried to bribe my friend Rick to get his wife to make some, but he didn't come through for me, so I learned how to make my own.


While shopping at my local co-op I found shelled pistachios and dried cranberries on sale in bulk, and was reminded of a cookie recipe I pinned on pinterest that I wanted to try. 

These have been given wonderful reviews from everyone who's tried them...not trying to toot my own horn, just sayin' :)

Tom's extended family usually gets together sometime around Christmas and this year we did it potluck style.  Of course I signed up to bring dessert 1.) because I love to bake and 2.) because I wanted to make sure there would be dessert.  The way I see it, when you do potluck style you better bring something you know you want to be there just in case no one else does.

This is not my own picture...I forgot to take a picture of these, so this comes from the link.  Although mine did look this beautiful :)  AND, these were probably my favorite thing of the entire holiday season.

I also brought spiced nuts to the family party.  The link is to the recipe I went off of, but I didn't follow it exactly.  There were Vegan's there that I wanted to be able to enjoy the nuts.  I also used pistachios (left over from the cookies above).  The picture is a few cups of them in a holiday baggie I took to some neighbors.


My mom and I loooove caramels.  Especially the squishy, sticky, homemade kind.  I'd seen a bunch of recipes on pinterest for caramels and decided to give it a try.

I should have cut them smaller because they were very rich, but very delicious.




Have you been to Starbucks lately?  Have you seen or tried the Cranberry Bliss Bars?  Well let me just tell you they are amazing, so when I saw a copycat recipe for them I just had to make them.  They are a bit time consuming, but worth it.  Again I used the extra dried cranberries from the cookies above, and should have cut them smaller because they are dense.  Also if I make them again I will use a larger pan to make the crust thinner.




In the fall I bought a bunch of Libby Pumpkin when it was on sale because I thought I would have to make a pie or two.  When I didn't I ended up with a bunch of extra cans of Libby Pumpkin and wasn't sure what to do with them.  I clicked through a few boards on pinterest and found some pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting that looked divine.


I also packaged some of these up for our neighbors.

And there you have it!  I would definitely make all of these recipes again.  Although I would try and give more away rather than eat them!

XO XO,
Fat & Happy Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment