Friday, December 21, 2012

Fa La La La La

Growing up, there were very strict Christmas day traditions.  Often we were at my mom's parent's house (grandma & grandpa Cornwell) in Deer Creek, Illinois with EVERYONE.  To my child-like eyes it seemed like the house would bust if one more person came in.  Aunts & Uncles, Cousins, EVERYONE!  We would sleep on the floor, or God-forbid the basement on the creepy bear rug and hope to not get stepped on.  When we woke up there would be sheets and blankets hung from the ceiling to cover the room where Santa had delivered the presents.


We weren't allowed in the room until after the looongest meal of the year Christmas breakfast, after the adults had a bazillion cups of coffee (they would always have to have just one more and the coffee pot would always be empty so we'd have to wait for a whole new pot to be brewed) and after the Christmas Story was read from The Bible.  After much anticipation all the kids would line up youngest to oldest to run into the room where the presents and tree were.

Ben & I (and Uncle Larry in the top pic.) carrying on the tradition as we were older!

It was the best Christmas madness ever.  Still to this day, I don't really feel like I've had Christmas unless all traditions have been followed.
Here are some pictures of Christmases past:
 Even the dogs get in on the Christmas Dinner!

 The Christmas before I transferred to The University of Iowa!

 Decorating for Christmas for the first time in my own house (Virginia)!

 My Dad never put Christmas lights on the outside of the house because he said he didn't want to put holes in the house.  What's the first thing I do when I have a house of my own???  Lights on the outside!

 Dad & Uncle Larry preparing the Christmas Breakfast!

 You never can be quite sure what will happen on Christmas morning!  Your Dad might wear a Santa apron and your Aunt might wear a sweatshirt that says Fa La La La La!

 Grandma (My mom) gives the Dog's presents too!

 Our first official Christmas Card as a family!

 This is normal right?!?  Ben headed to a crazy Christmas party.

 Look how thrilled Tom is.  We got engaged the day before.  Should I be worried?!?

 Our very first "Charlie Brown" Christmas Tree.

 Finally a BIG tree for us!

 When my parents finally gave in and realized, "It's all about Molly!"

 My first time skiing (down the driveway!)



Tom is such an angel...isn't this just precious?!?
 Tom's famous "Kissing Cousin's Picture"

 Seriously how cute are these boys!  What happened?!?  Just kidding Paula, you know I love them all! :)

He really wanted to be a construction man when he grew up!


XO XO,
Merry Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment