Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ann Miller: Plain Name Not a Plain Person (30 Before 30 #19)

I always joke with my mom and tell her I don't have any friends.  I mean I've moved around a lot lately and I work with a bunch of old weirdo's so there aren't many opportunities to meet people my own age.  My mom's response is always, "It's the quality of friendships not the quantity of friendships that matter."  And I truly believe that.
My best friend Ann and I have been friends / enemies since 5th grade.  We were friends, but then we were both cast as the same part in the 5th grade musical and competition got fierce.  So then we were enemies for a while (probably like a month cuz it was 5th grade and you change who your friends are everyday practically).  Then we became friends again and have been friends ever since.  We really became besties in High School.
Ann's birthday is in August so she was one of the first people to be able to drive in our grade.  Lucky for me she worked at a day care near my house so I ALWAYS begged her for rides home (a highschooler riding the bus is just committing social suicide afterall).  That's when our friendship really blossomed.
We were in show choir and concert choir together.  I tried to sneak in to ELP (the smart kid's class, Ann is really smart) but they knew better, and we were even lucky enough to be in government class together.  I don't think the government teacher felt very lucky, but we sure did!
Now, if you know me, you know I am very shy and quiet very outgoing and loud.  Times that by like 100 and that's Ann.  So I don't even need to explain why our government teacher duct taped our mouths shut one day.
It seemed like whenever we thought we were excelling we just did something to show why we should never, ever, be partners or put in the front row of a very important regional music concert.
We bring out the best in each other, we make each other laugh (often), and we are always there for each other.  When my long-time boyfriend broke up with me I called Ann and she basically stole her RA's car and drove from Omaha to Storm Lake in the middle of the night to come comfort me.  She brought popcorn and M&M's and then stayed up all night studying for a test she had the next morning.
But you know what???  That's the kind of thing best friends do.  They drop everything for each other.  Because ultimately they are your family.  They go on family trips with you, they come over on thanksgiving and Christmas, you go to church together, they drive home from college to go to your Baptism, and even though they are raised Cyclone fans they become Hawkeye fans when you decide to go to college there.  They are the person you want by your side through thick and thin.  They are the person you call when you think you have no one else to call because no one else will understand.  They are the person who will not judge if you get in a fight with your husband or gain 20 pounds.  They love you for you and that's what I love about Ann (and her family).
Even though we live separate lives (Ann a BIG shot lawyer in Omaha and me an office manager in Minneapolis) and don't get to talk everyday we always pick right up where we left off.  And that's special.
Ann was there for me through break up's, moves, birthday's, and stood next to me on my wedding day as my maid of honor.  She is like a sister because we love each other but know if we lived together we would fight to the death.  She is the best friend a girl could have and I am the lucky one to call her my best friend.


Mr. Beeken (our choir director), Me, & Ann in Dallas, TX for a show choir competition.  The date at the bottom of the picture is obviously incorrect.  I am not 10 in this picture.

Ann, Me, & my mom in Phoenix, AZ where my mom told us about how she'd ridden a gondalier before!

Me & Ann getting ready for her Aunt's wedding.

Ann and Me at a concert.


Getting ready to leave for my bachelorette party


Ann doing my make-up for my wedding

Ann allowing me to eat french fries on my wedding day!
Helping me cool off when I thought I was going to be sick before the wedding
Telling me how everything is going to be perfect.

P.S. I told Ann that if she ever ran for office I got to be her slogan manager and the title of this blog post is my best slogan.  She told me I wasn't hired :(

No comments:

Post a Comment