Tuesday, November 13, 2012

What's Happening???

I couldn't sleep last night.  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  So much happened and half the time I didn't know what was happening.  It was the most perfect weekend / birthday EVER and it's all thanks to a few special people and one amazing husband.

Tom flew in late Friday night from interviews in North Carolina so we decided we would just lay low on Saturday.  And by lay low I mean Tom slept in until 12:30pm (this NEVER happens) and I didn't get out of my pj's until...well...I didn't get out of them.  Even the dogs enjoyed the day :)


Saturday night Tom told me that he had plans for us all day Sunday.  He said I needed to be up and ready to go at 8:30am in casual clothes.  He then started asking about plastic cutlery and went to the store.  When he came back he said something about the dogs going with us, so I started thinking we were going to have a picnic at the dog park (not really my cup of tea but whatevs).

Sunday morning Tom woke up extra early and came in and told me I could sleep later than 8:30 cuz it was snowing outside and things were getting a bit delayed.  So of course I took the opportunity to sleep in.  I woke up a little while later and went downstairs and started a bit of laundry.  Tom was like, "are you going to get ready?"  And I said, "do I need to be?  You haven't said anything."  So I went upstairs to get ready.  As I was standing in my bathroom in leggings and an old ragedy tank top the door bell rang.  I thought, "Who the F is ringing my doorbell on a Sunday morning?"  And didn't answer the door.  The dogs started barking and I figured they would scare whoever it was away.  Then the doorbell rang again and Tom yelled up from downstairs, "Is someone at the door?" And I yelled back, "I don't know I'm not dressed appropriately to answer the door!"  So Tom came upstairs and answered the door.  I didn't hear anything and then Tom said, "No one's here." So I thought, "Good job dogs...scared the stupid people away.  Who rings peoples doorbell at 9am on a Sunday morning anyway?"  Then all of a sudden I hear my Dad's voice say, "Happy Birthday Molly!"  I looked over and there were my Mom and Dad!  I couldn't believe it!  I had just been to see them the previous weekend and thought we had celebrated my birthday then.  They had driven all the way from Des Moines just to take me to brunch and hang out for the day.  My Mom tried to take pictures of my reaction but all she got was a hand over the camera because I was not dressed for a picture!




So Sunday we all went downtown for brunch.  That didn't come without it's drama, but that's a whole other story.  When we got back home from brunch we hung out downstairs and watched the football game and took naps.  It was super relaxing and wonderful.  Unfortunately my Dad had to work the next morning so they had to leave Sunday evening.  Even though it was just a few hours I got to spend it meant the world that they would surprise me and come up just for the day.

Then Monday rolled into town and I woke up 30.  I went to work like normal and was surprised by a beautiful flower bouquet from Ann and a crazy balloon bouquet from my parents.  Throughout the day Tom sent me some e-mails and texts telling me I needed to be dressed up and ready to go at 6:30pm.

*Side note: a few weeks previous to this Tom e-mailed me asking what I wanted for my birthday and I told him all I wanted was to go out to dinner with our friends.*

He said he had tried really hard to get everyone together, but because he had been traveling so much and because it was on a Monday it wasn't working out very well.  He said we were going to go to dinner at a Mexican restaurant I like with Eric & Kim and that Jake was probably going to meet us for drinks later.  Even though it wasn't everyone, I was still happy we were doing something.

At about 6:15pm Tom said Eric was still stuck at work and we might be leaving a bit later.  No problem I thought.  But then 5 minutes later the doorbell rang.  I thought, "gee that was quick for Eric to get off work get home and pick up Kim and get here!"  Tom answered the door and Ryan & Cristy walked in!!!  (Tom's brother and his wife).  I was like, "what are you guys going here?!?"  They said they were in the neighborhood (they live 45min. away from us) and knew it was my birthday and wanted to see me and give me my card.  I thought, how nice of them but was a bit confused as to why they would be in our neighborhood on a Monday night without their kids!  They asked what we were doing for the night and I told them we were going to dinner with Eric & Kim.  They sat down and chatted for a bit.

I got up to use the restroom and when I came out Tom said, "They're here are you ready?"  I had to put my shoes on and then was going to walk out the garage entrance.  Tom said, "Just go out the front door cuz Ryan & Cristy are gonna take off"  Ryan walked out first and Cristy & I walked out together and Tom followed.  As I walked out I saw Kim standing in our driveway with her camera and as I looked farther I saw a limo in the street!!!  I started asking Cristy what was happening and was the limo for us.  Ryan and Tom started laughing and then Ryan said, "Well I guess if you guys have a limo we can go to dinner with you!"  HAHA!  They were totally in on it the whole time!

I walked to the limo and the driver had laid out red carpet for us to walk on!  I felt like a celebrity.  When he opened the door and I poked my head inside Eric, Jake & Rachel were inside!  I pretty much started screaming and I'm sure said "Holy crap" about a thousand times.  They were all laughing at me because it was quite obvious I had NO IDEA!!!

*Another side note: Ryan & Cristy have a 5 year old and a 9 month old, and Jake & Rachel have a 2 year old and a 9 month old.  So they both had to get babysitters for this.  We never all are able to get together so this was a HUGE deal!*

As soon as I sat down in the limo Kim handed me a margarita and I'm pretty sure I had a margarita in my hand the rest of the night.  We went downtown to the Mexican restaurant I like and then the driver just drove us all around.  Kim made the most amazing cookie dough cake pops (I may or may not have had them for breakfast this morning) and we all had some. The entire night was amazing!  I'm still smiling from ear to ear just thinking about it.  It was absolutely the BEST birthday EVER!





Now, I want to take a moment to say Thank You.
Thank you to my wonderful parents who drove 7 hours in a day just to take me to brunch, watch me wipe out on the sidewalk, and take naps.  You guys are the BEST!
Thank you to Jake & Rachel for getting a babysitter and coming out.  Not that I wouldn't have been happy to just have Jake, but having Rachel there too really made it special.
Thank you to Ryan & Cristy for coming all the way from New Prauge and getting a babysitter.  You guys really had me going and I'm glad you weren't "just in the neighborhood".  I'm so lucky Ryan, to have you as my brother-in-law.  I know I can always count on you and I know that you truly think of me as your sister.  Cristy, I couldn't have asked for a better sister-in-law.  I know you're always there for me and will always take my side when Tom and Ryan are up to something :)  Oh, and thanks for making two of the cutest nephews in the world.  They make me so happy and are such a joy to be around.
Thank you to Eric & Kim probably our closest "couple" friends.  I know how much you, Kim,  helped Tom make this come together and I sincerely appreciate all you did.  Thank you for always making us laugh, Eric and for being appropriately inappropriate at all the right times :)  We love you guys!
And finally, thank you to my wonderful husband Tom.  You made this a birthday I will never forget (for multiple reasons) and I will cherish it forever.  I love you so much and can't wait to spend many more birthday's with you.

Love to you all,
30 year old Molly

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a great time. I agree, you have an amazing husband. I felt honored to be with you to help celebrate!

    ReplyDelete