Monday, October 15, 2012

Dad’s always need Mom’s help! (30 Before 30 #2)



I wrote this in early 2005 for a nonfiction class.  You'll notice Tom makes an appearance in this one!


            Zooming down the entrance road to the Omaha airport at ninety miles an hour, rushing through stop signs and red lights my brother, Ben, and I look at each and shake our heads.  “Not again” we are both thinking.  We quietly hear our Mom say, “Denny slow down a little,” in a frantic yet calm voice.  “If we miss this flight we are not going, we’ll just turn around and go back home,” our Dad replied sternly and kept his foot on the pedal.  It was still dark, about 4:30 in the morning, and our flight for Amelia Island was to take off at 5:00.  The entrance to the airport was as long as it had ever been, with more stop signs then any of us had remembered in the past.  Up a head we all saw a car with something on its hood, and as we got closer I heard my Dad ask my Mom if it was illegal to pass a police.  I knew this was as close as we had come to missing a flight.
            Once we got onto the airport property my Dad started yelling instructions for each of us to do once the car stopped.  I was to get out and grab whatever I could.  My Mom was to run inside to the check in counter and tell them we had made it and not to let the plane leave yet.  My Brother and my Dad were to quickly get all of the luggage out of the back, and Ben was to drag it inside with my help while my Dad sped off to park the car.
            After getting quickly checked in the three of us, my Mom, Ben, and I ran to the gate so they would know we were here.  We waited what seemed like an eternity watching down the hallway for my Dad to arrive from parking the car but there was no sight of him.  The time was now 4:51 and one of the flight attendants came up to my mom and said, “Mam, we cannot wait any longer for your husband.  We have to push back from the gate.  Are you prepared to fly without him?”  Quickly my mother produced some tears and emotionally said, “No.”  Ben and I looked at each other and at our mom and said, “We are, we want to go!”  Without hesitation we got out our boarding passes and handed them to the lady.  Right as we turned our backs from watching the hallway my dad appeared and we all were able to board the plane with out anymore delay.
            Once in the air we all looked at each other and began laughing.  We knew this was our closest call yet to missing a flight.  Every time we go on vacation it starts like that.  Dad never starts packing until at least two hours before it is time to leave the house for the airport.  And as we are throwing the last bags into the car, he is shoving his last pair of shoes into someone else’s bag.  Just recently my boyfriend went on vacation with us to Jamaica and when we arrived we dug into our bags to get our bathing suits out and Tom, my boyfriend, grabbed out some loafers from the top of his bag and asked, “Who the hell are these?”  I just started laughing knowing they were my dad’s.
Once we finally leave the house we usually return twice.  First because mom thinks she has left the curling iron or coffee pot on, and second because dad asks mom if she has the tickets and she panics and doesn’t think she does, even though generally they are in her purse.  If we actually make it to the airport in time to grab some breakfast we consider it successful.
            After we all gave dad some crap for driving so fast and remembered the other fifty times we had been late, almost missing our flights, we turned on our head phones and settled in for a nap, knowing when we arrived we would be met with warm Florida air, and our friends, the Whinnery’s from Texas, who would have landed the night before.
            As the Captain told us to buckle our safety belts and the flight attendants told us to put up our tray tables and seat backs we anxiously awaited the landing.  Once on the ground we were surprised not to see the Whinnery’s who were to be meeting us.  We went to the baggage claim and got all of our bags and decided to wait outside in the warm air.  We waited for about an hour, and finally dad decided we should try and call them.  He got out the hotel’s number and they told him that the Whinnery’s had not checked in yet.  My dad became worried knowing that he and Dr. Whinnery had planned the whole vacation without their wives help, and feared something might have gone wrong.  He then tried to call the Whinnery’s cell phone.  Dr. Whinnery answered and my dad asked where they were.  He said they were in Texas and wondered what we were doing in Florida.  It turned out we should never have let our dad plan us a vacation without any help.  He booked our flights for the wrong week.  We were there a week early!

No comments:

Post a Comment