Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hee-Haw (30 Before 30 #11)

My mom has been the Children's Music director at our church forever...literally over 20 years (and is still doing it).  Pretty sure they'll name a pew after her or something when she retires.  She has directed the children's choir, the Christmas pagents, Easter shows, Christmas Programs, Thanksgiving for Christmas, Baptist on Broadway and numerous other performances throughout the years.

Her most memorable directing performance was when President Clinton came to our church one Sunday.  The Children's choir was scheduled to perform and they did...boy did they ever!  I think word got out that the President would be in attendance because we'd never and still have never had so many kids in the Children's choir as that Sunday.  At one point I looked up and saw my brother's best friend Reid in the choir.  P.S. Reid did not belong to our church and had never sung in the choir before.

My mom was not one to shy away from certain songs either.  If she wanted the kids choir to sing them we did.  We sang Feliz Navidad (in spanish), Silent Night with a verse in French, a song from the Musical "Annie", and most notably Heal the World by Michael Jackson.  We also once did a Christmas Program with a chef in it (not sure what that was about).

Now I ALWAYS wanted a solo, or a good speaking part during a performance, but my mom said she couldn't show favorites so Jennie H. would get the solos and Emily T. would get to be Mary.  Me???  Well, I got to be...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

That's right folks...I got to be the donkey.  Hee-Haw...(that was my only line).  I also had to enter crawling on all fours.  My mom tried to play it as a very important role because Mary rode me but really we all know she was pulling at strings.  Oh, and playing favorites???  Yes, that's my YOUNGER brother standing next to me.  Pretty sure he got to be Joseph or at least a Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment