Sunday, October 14, 2012

The BIG Slide (30 Before 30 #1)



I wrote this in college in 2004 for a nonfiction writing class.



Walking into the Iowa State Fair when I was a child was always an overwhelming and exciting moment.  There were so many different smells.  My family and I always started at the animal barns, which smelled like my Grandpa’s farm, pigs and manure.  I was always careful where I stepped.  After the animal barns we would continue our journey.  As we walked into the fair a little farther the aromas of all the foods would attack our noses.  I could never decide what I wanted, corn dogs were always a good option but so was the ice cream of the future “Dippin’ Dots.”  It was all so yummy.  Right as it was time to make my final decision on the foods I wanted a sound caught my ear.  A sound like no other, screams and laughter over loud speakers, a sound that could only mean one thing, the BIG green and yellow slide.
Now this slide was like no other slide my young eyes had seen.  It was not like any slide on any playground I had ever been to.  It was HUGE!  There were about a million steps to climb up before I could even go down it and I got to ride on a potato sack to make me go fast.  There were about six big humps to fly over all while shooting down to the bottom where the grandma’s and grandpa’s stood and watched.  At night the slide was beautiful.  There were lights strung all over it, reminding me of Christmas, and big bright lights shooting all the way down the slide so the people were lit up as they flew to the bottom.
My first adventure with the incredible slide was when I was very young.  My Dad and I stood in line to get our tickets while my Mom, Brother, and Grandma inched their way toward the front of the viewing area.  Once we received our tickets we had to get our potato sacks.  I tried and tried to grab my potato sack out of the bin but it was too heavy so my Dad helped me get it out.  As I started dragging the sack up the stairs like I always did with my blanket at home I realized I was not going to make it very far.  My legs were not long enough to put one foot on one step and the next foot on the other step.  After about the first twenty slow steps a long line of people had accumulated behind us.  Realizing I was holding up the line my Dad picked me and my potato sack up and carried us to the top.  The man at the top was dressed in black and gold stripped overalls and I remember telling my Dad he looked like a Hawkeye fan.  My Dad just smiled happy his Hawkeye spirit had reached me.  The Hawkeye man laid down our sacks so that my Dad would be right behind me to hold on to me and then said, “Have a nice ride!”  As I sat down on my sack and looked to the bottom I got very nervous.  The big inviting slide from the bottom looked a lot friendlier than it did from the top.  I looked back at my Dad, and he could tell I was nervous.  He looked at me and said, “Don’t worry I won’t let go.”  We pushed off and started zooming down catching air over the humps.  I was screaming the whole way hoping my Mom and Grandma would hear me over the loud speakers.  When we got to the bottom my Mom took our picture and I couldn’t wait until the next year to ride the Big green and yellow slide again.

No comments:

Post a Comment