Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda. An Update on Fellowship, and a request.

Many people dream of being a popstar or some sort of celebrity. As long as I can remember I wanted to be a teacher. But today, I realized where my true talents lay...travel planning. Yep, I'm pretty sure I should have been a travel agent (do those even exist anymore? I guess if I even have to ask that question its a good thing I didn't become one, but that's besides the point).  My qualifications for being a travel agent = overly organized, lots of travel experience, know where to look for cheap flights, and thats it really, but seriously what more does it take?  Oh yeah patience (which I sort of lack) but hey 3 out of 4 isn't bad!
A portion of the spreadsheet I've made to try and find the cheapest flights.
The folders I've made for Tom to take with him with all flight and car rental info written on the outside and all paperwork inside with maps to all the places he will have to drive.
 Anyway, I guess it's a good thing Tom is getting a lot of invitations for interviews, but the scheduling is really taking a toll on us.  It seems like right when we think we have some sort of schedule figured out another program calls and wants to schedule an interview on the exact day two others want interviews.  We've had to do a lot of scheduling and rescheduling.  I feel like for every two flights I've booked I've cancelled three.  Yes you read that right.
It's really been hard for Tom to get the time off from his actual job RESIDENCY (because we have to remember interviewing for fellowships isn't his actual job) but luckily his co-workers are supportive and have been willing to trade call shifts and moonlighting shifts.  I think I'm going to have to do a lot of baking for all the people that helped out, especially Tom's residency coordinator who has really changed Tom's schedule around.  I may even have to pull out the Susie Langwith trick of baking a pie to suck up :) (Love you Mom!)
Anyway to update you all on where we are with interviews...You'll remember Tom applied to 23 different fellowships.  He has currently heard back from 14 all inviting him for an interview.  He has been on two (Minnesota & Toledo) and has scheduled 7 more.  He has declined 5 interviews so far.  Remember this is the time we really weed out places.  Tom is very satisfied with the response he has gotten and I of course am very proud of him.  He deserves this so much and I just hope it all works out the way he wants.  It's really been and continues to be quite stressful.  In fact just last night he arrived home (at 11:31pm) from Toledo.  He then had to be to work this morning at 7am.  He is so exhausted already and this is just the beginning.
So, to our request...please pray for us.  Pray that we can stay focused, healthy, well rested, and sane.  Oh, and also pray that we don't have to deplete our savings for this.  Thankfully we have very supportive parents who are always willing to help out, but this is quite extreme.  We really appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers and can't wait to celebrate with you in January when we find out where the next phase of the crazy thing we call life leads us.
I'll continue to keep you all updated as the interviews go on.


No comments:

Post a Comment